Master server

Ask us questions.

Moderator: Developers

Master server

Postby crs9683 » 2011-08-09 21:34:23

Hi, I was wondering if you guys could update the Quake 3 1.32e files for windows/linux to point to a new master server. The current master server it points to is operated by idsoftware.

So, my friend and I setup a master server about two years ago for quake 3 and it's been up ever since then. I helped create this master server because idsoftware's master server is constantly getting abused with floods of fake servers in version 1.32 that all redirect to one server (which idsoftware won't do anything about it) and this makes it's harder to keep a server populated as many people still rely on the built-in game server browser.

I'd like to see this master server we created be put to better use since not many people know. I was thinking this community could help bring some light to its existence.
crs9683

Re: Master server

Postby foksieloy » 2011-08-10 06:14:48

We have been planning on hosting our own master again (used to have it on old website).

Can you give more info on your own?
foksieloy
Site Admin

Postby crs9683 » 2011-08-11 01:19:07

Well, we didn't create the software for the master server. It's powered by dpmaster from http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/

I proposed the master server idea to Maverick (creator of noghost mod for quake 3) and it's been up since then. Basically this master server works just like the original master server from idsoftware. The only ways I know so far to view the list of servers in this master server is to compile a modified client from the quake 3 source code or create some kind of php code to query it.

You can read more about it from here:
http://forums.noghost.net/cgi-bin/ib/ik ... ter+server

Also, if you would like to see how a client can view this server, you can download an windows executable (I don't have a linux one):
http://q3renegade.com/files/quake3-1.32b.exe
crs9683

Postby Cyrax » 2011-08-11 08:46:40

I saw something related to dpmaster protocol in ioq3 trunk, will look at it when I will back home (few days)

IIRC sv_master1..sv_master5 cvars is not hardcoded so you can set its to any value you want
Cyrax

Postby crs9683 » 2011-08-12 02:44:20

I hope you'll understand what I'm saying because I suck at giving good explanations to people, but all you need to do with your quake 3 1.32e source code is to edit a single line in qcommon.h and go down to about line 232:
Code: Select all
#define MASTER_SERVER_NAME   "master.maverickservers.com"
and change it to
Code: Select all
#define MASTER_SERVER_NAME   "master.quake3arena.com"

This is just basically making some edits in the quake 3 1.32e source code and then compiling it. Then once you open the gui for quake 3 it will query from a different master server. You know how you have the options of switching between internet, lan, mplayer and such in the Q3 graphics user interface (gui)? Well you could also for example, add "internet2" to the quake 3 server built-in game server browser and write in the code for it to query from our master server.

Overall, the whole point of this conversation is because I was hoping you guys might be interested in making an update to the existing "quake 3 1.32e" files on your main website to query from our master server. Also I would like to see more people use this master server because it's free and I wanted to create an alternative master server for 1.32 server owners because the main one from idsoftware never works correctly because a few server owners are always abusing it by flooding it with redirect servers.

I came up with this idea for an alternative master server because I got tired of trying to battle with the owners who choose to abuse id's master server list and two particular servers always appear on top in q3 server browser which makes most other servers always appear on the bottom of server list.

I know people can use 3rd party server browsers, but most noobs don't know about them and are always relying on the built-in quake 3 server browser.
crs9683

Postby foksieloy » 2011-08-12 06:29:41

There is no need to do it in engine source, it can also be done in mod source.
foksieloy
Site Admin

Postby crs9683 » 2011-08-12 07:53:18

Ah, I see. Thanks. I didn't know it could be done that way :) lol... I'm not a coder so I don't know much about what can be done with mods and such. If you guys choose to implement this into your mod or anything then that would be cool.
crs9683

Return to Contact